Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Way to Live

We're at the end of a long week of chemotherapy now, having awoken bright and early every other morning to get to the hospital for morning rounds (7 a.m.) for the medication we're pinning our hopes on.  At first I kinda liked this new way of doing chemotherapy.  I falsely thought it would end up being a lot easier on me.  Trick!!  


On the face of it, it sounded pretty good- no more 4 day stays in the hospital for Phil with the horrible food, the long absences away from the kids, the long stints of my single parenting.  I really don't know what the heck I was thinking.  I mean, the man is doing chemotherapy still and is a hurting unit.  And this business of getting up at o' dark thirty to be at the hospital by 7 a.m., driving there in morning traffic?  I am a Lehmann for God's sake.  We don't DO o' dark thirty, at least not well, and certainly not arrhythmically every other day for crying out loud.  That is a one way ticket to a migraine or at least, major connective tissue pain.  My sibs ~ Anita, Terry, Cherie, Peter and Stephen ~ can I get an Amen?  You may not have to be a Lehmann to be shanked by this schedule but I can testify that it sucks big time.  I do think it is better than having Phil inpatient for 4 days for sure, but on my end, it has been pretty ugly.  Just ask my kids - they'll set you real straight.  I haven't been the Mommy I want them to remember when they look back.


Perhaps it's the mild heat wave, perhaps it's that I'm still unpacking and trying to find a place for everything and I don't like the level of chaos around me.  Perhaps it's that our house is a bit of a jalopy and keeps presenting me with opportunities to breathe deeply.  Perhaps it's that Phil and I are coming up on our 16th wedding anniversary a mere week prior to the one year anniversary of his diagnosis and both feel so deeply depleted that celebrating isn't precisely on our radar.  One things for dang sure, I am losing my ability to let things roll off my back.  Nope, things have been piling right up.  


And then, Saturday night a compassionate group of loving, generous friends and childhood neighbors, led by the amazing Kathi Taymans McShane, came together in Pittsburgh for an auction and raised nearly $10,000 on our behalf - because of Phil and who he is to them, who he was as a kid in Edgewood.  Because of cancer and the scourge it is and the way it has touched and hurt many.  Yet again, as I reflected on how sick and tired I was of being sick and tired, someone in the body of Christ came alongside to do what I could not.  Kathi showed me when I could not see or recall it to mind that God is at work through His people, surrounding us with many shoulders to carry this burden - prayerfully and financially.  Through people to love on my kids when I'm not Mommy of the year and friends who call or drop me a note to remind me I'm not living in isolation.   


Phil is in the recovery phase of his chemotherapy now.  Tired, tired, tired.  And me?  I am in crisis stage again, I just didn't recognize it for what it was until now.  I am tired, tired, tired.  I do not know what will happen for my husband or for my family.  I'll hope to know more in about three weeks.  Then there will be another decision tree and yet another path on this road.  This really isn't any way to live.  But hey, it really is. 

6 comments:

  1. Sally, You are a remarkable person. One thing that I love about you is your brutal honesty, especially about your own "humanness". I can't imagine what you're going through but never forget that you are not alone. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally, you continue to be my hero. I love how God puts His arms under your armpits and holds you up...continue to lean on Him cause He sure "ain't letting you go!" .... Sherry W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a real honest picture of HOW TERRIBLY SUCKY THIS IS. Thank you for these words, for the willingness to own your overwhelmed-ness, for your putting the shoulder to the wheel ONE MORE TIME. Ye gads, it stretches out to infinity sometimes, doesn't it?? You are doing a great job. You are a great person. You are a good mom. You are a good wife. You are real, you are strong, and you are damned tired - physically tired, emotionally and spiritually spent AND you are willing to say it OUT LOUD. That right there makes you a major player in this thing called life, friend. Prayers continue for all of you, but especially for you just now - that you'll find small spots of relief with your name on them - some reminders that you are being cared for, walked with, loved and remembered...because you are. Here's to having the energy to see that truth...one stinkin' day at a time. Lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally--my new friend--whom I love--so glad you came into my life. Thank you for your support and I will try to do whatever I can.. Love you---Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big hugs Sally -- and prayers that you will walk it one day at a time knowing that someone (or many) is always with you until Phil is well again. I think your kids understand far more than you may be giving them credit for -- they know you love them and they know it is hard -- you are the best that you can be given the circumstances -- you are not a parent snipping or lashing out for no reason at all. Trust that they can handle it temporarily. I am praying for sleep and that the waiting time goes quickly with good news the final result.
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big hugs to you Sally, it is clear God knew you would be the wife to carry all of you thru this journey. Forging with vigor, silently crying, yet prevailing thru unmentionable storms. Know all of Calvary Camp is with you as you face each day and each chapter. We think of you, pray daily for your continued perserverance, strength and determination to support Phil. Take this love and recharge you when it seems unbearable.We are all trusting in God's wisdom, praying for the best outcome. Believe with undying faith there is a plan, this is a journey, there is truth and God's love does conquer all. With continued support for you all, a Calvary friend for life, Weezie Walter <3

    ReplyDelete