Friday, February 18, 2011

It is What It Is


We're home now, having been discharged on Wednesday after receiving Dr. Mansfield's blessing that Phil had been given a sufficient amount of IV antibiotics and Dr. Kossman felt his blood counts were returning to normal levels.  He left on oral antibiotics and a host of other medications to tame the sinus infection while his immune system comes back online and finally conquers it once and for all (knocking on wood would be appropriate right now if you are at all superstitious). 

Normally, coming home would mean a wonderful rest from the hustle and bustle of hospital life where someone or another is always coming into Phil's room to measure, administer, deliver, or clean something.  But no.  Cancer, being the tenacious SOB that it is, has continued to flex it's muscle and is alternately pissing Phil off or exhausting him with profound nausea.  In addition to these bouts he has also been taken to the mat with sleeplessness and a ferocious fatigue that compounds with each passing day.  There has truly been no rest for the weary.  And by weary I mean: chemotherapy for 4 days followed by 9 days of the bottom totally dropping out followed by admission for pancytopenia and sepsis including sinus surgery and a 6 day stay at "Club Med".   Makes most anything I am dealing with alongside of him much more tolerable.  Not easy, but tolerable.  

I just began reading The Emperor of all Maladies: a Biography of Cancer.  It is absolutely fascinating so far and I know I will be riveted by it.  I know because it is the story of a "relentless and insidious enemy" and because it is the story I am living every day.  You might wonder why I would choose to read such a book right now.  You might wonder if I'll find it too depressing, or too difficult to handle.  On the contrary.  In taking a hard look in the mirror of reality I find nothing more affirming than seeing things exactly as they are and leaning into them.  It is what it is - and yes it SUCKS!, yes it is a RIP OFF! of epic proportions that my husband, my children's father has this most aggressive and "relentless and insidious enemy", cancer.  But to pretend otherwise or to distance myself from this process or reality would be to deny Phil and myself the opportunity and privilege of growing in intimacy with each other, our children and with God in this most heinous, desperate and yet profound situation.


Through relationships with the doctors, my close friends and family and mostly with Phil and my kids I am reaping many harvests of joy amidst this trial.  I definitely have to keep my eyes open for them sometimes but they are there.  People and relationships are an endless wellspring of love and discovery.  And when all that cancer is serving up is nausea, hair loss, fatigue and sleeplessness, well, give me the wellspring, thank you very much!   (Take me to the river, drop me in the water...)  So even though there is suffering and that is what it is a lot of the time lately, that's OK.  We signed up for the package deal with each other, with our friendships, and with God.


People travel to wonder at the height of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -- St. Augustine




2 comments:

  1. Sally what you wrote is so powerful.
    Life is filled with gifts, sometimes the packages they come in aren't as pretty as others. But, to recognize them is key. The life we live is our journey, it is the "package deal".
    I hold you all dear in my heart.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to thank you for the gift and joy of allowing us to travel on this journey with you. Thank you for helping us keep our perspectives right and adjust them when they get off so easily. We are laying before God your "Package deal" every day trusting and anticipating more than we could ever imagine from Him.
    We sure wish we could be present tangibly with you....
    Love,
    Jenn, Jeff, and Alexa Joy

    ReplyDelete