Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cancer Scars

At our Thanksgiving dinner my dad gave the blessing and as he tends to do on these occasions, got all verklempt as he spoke about a warrior and his scars who stood with us that night. He was talking about Phil of course.  


My dad is a Lutheran preachers son through and through and waxes eloquent quiet regularly and on many a topic.  He earned the nickname Plato from his children and having grown up in his home I can attest that it was not always a term of endearment.  I can only speak for myself, but there were times when I would have opted for a spanking rather than a long drawn out lecture from him, my logic dictating that a spanking would hurt much less and be over more quickly.  Pete, as he is known to his friends, or Quentin as his mother named him, is a retired physician in radiation therapy and knows what he speaks of when he calls Phil a warrior.  


In his little preamble to the dinner prayer he talked of the elephant in the room - referring I suppose to the guests with their curiosities about the skinny guy with the huge scar across his forehead.  He explained about the cancer and the fungal infection and he talked of Phil's eye that had gone silent.  He championed Phil's strength and fight that he's exhibited all along the way.  And then my dad talked about me.


I had on this beautiful new outfit and I'd done my hair and make up.  I was looking really nice and put together for a change.  But my dad knows better.  He had my number like loving good Dad's do.   He said, "Sally looks great tonight but she's got scars too."  Wow, right between the eyes.  He didn't really say much else, he didn't have to.  That was enough to convey the truth about our situation.  Cancer is taking a toll on me, our family, our life.  We all have scars, Bennett and Olivia included.  Some are visible to the eye and some are harder to see.  


And here's the truth of it that I don't write about very often.  Our cancer experience has been a particularly difficult and devastating experience because of how aggressive it came on, how intensely it has to be fought against and how complicated it has been to battle.  Our dream to move to California and begin a new life here was radically altered almost the moment we got here.  All the promises we made to our children have had to be postponed or altered in some way.  There have been losses upon losses and changes upon changes.  Little for them has been very secure for some time now.  They essentially left everything they knew in Washington to arrive here to the uncertainty of their father's cancer.  And they have more or less been relying on the certainty of their mother.   Just yesterday Olivia asked me why she doesn't have a special friend just for her like she did in Washington.  How do I answer that?  It's partly because all my energies are spent battling and just getting through.  It's because I don't have much time for any real women friends here that would allow her to have friendships with their daughters like we did in Washington.  And Bennett was just beginning to shift that maternal bond over to Phil when he got sick.  What horrible timing for a young boy of 9.  Cancer is a cruel and consuming disease that is robbing all of us of life.   


There are still many reasons to rejoice and I do find gratitude in every day.  We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner and Dad's prayer was as touching as it was tearful.  But I am tired and I know this hiatus in Phil's treatment is only contributing to the sense of fatigue and awareness of how long this journey will be.  I know that my redeemer lives and yet I am human and I am unsatisfied with this stage of my life.  I want more for my children. I want to know my kids are going to be OK and to know how this is going to turn out for them.  I'm finding waiting on the Lord very hard to do.  But what else is there?





6 comments:

  1. I've been sitting here, typing...deleting...typing...deleting...You do the best you can because you do...you believe in what you believe because you believe it....because it gives you comfort...because it gives you answers at times...and when it doesn't, it reminds you that you are human...and that shitty things happen to really good people...it's nothing personal...it just happens. Through the death of my daughter and husband I have contemplated the "unfairness" of it, but in the end, I know in my heart that Livi didn't die because I "could" handle it, as people said to me...I wasn't being tested...it just wasn't personal...I am not a religious person, and after Joe's passing, I will admit that my belief that there isn't anything after wasn't too comforting...Embrace what you believe in your heart...embrace the ebb and flow of goodness and the painful...Be kind to yourself...lean on those that want to help. I need to take this advise myself. I send you my love and friendship from afar...and I hope this made some sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes life leads us where we really have no desire to be. Things that used to be normal for everyone no longer are. The way we live our life shifts. In time we see that the losses are filled up with other gains but in the thick of things that is so hard to see. The kids may lose some time with friends or active time with you but they may see the compassion of you and other people, they may learn the value of stillness and quiet and just sitting with someone, they may realize that they can find something they love all on their own. They may end up with strengths that you never thought possible. I know there is so much more to go through but I also know that you and Phil and your kids can get through it, together, one day (or hour, or minute) at a time. I am so sorry that you are having to go through this and you are in my prayers, as always.
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. sending...love...tears...peace...prayers...empathy...prayers...more than anything...JESUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thank you for this honest, real post. What you all are dealing with right now just plain sucks, big-time. You don't know me (except for a 'how do you do' at Randy's memorial service) but I checked in on your blog because I love your sister Anita and therefore I care about her family. I will say, however, that I am now a faithful follower of your blog because I LOVE WHAT YOU WRITE. You are honest, funny, thoughtful, fierce and powerful. Your husband is unbelievably brave, and your children are giants. Believe this. Hang onto it. Lean into it. There are no easy answers to any of this suffering and you are right - it feels like one loss after another right about now. That's because it IS one loss after another. But, as you have noted, it is also one small gift after another at the same time. Life is complicated like that - the shining threads mixed in with the rough and ugly ones. From where I sit/stand - hundreds of miles north of you - the picture being woven is exquisitely, gloriously beautiful - and also terrifyingly incomplete. You don't know how much more there is to lose, how many more tears there will be, how many hours of fatigue and anxiety and grief. For that, I am more sorry than I can say. But you have been gifted with a valiant, warrior heart....all 4 of you have that same heart. And it reflects the heart of our exquisitely beautiful and terrifyingly scarred Savior - the one who collects all those losses and holds them in his hands of love and healing. The one whose tears and prayers will carry you right into the heart of heaven itself as you offer your honest wonderings and pained groanings. Thank you so much for all that you've shared of this extraordinary, demanding, overwhelming journey. It isn't enough - but maybe it will help a little to know that your courage is a blessing to many, even this old, soon-to-be-retired pastor in Santa Barbara. Many blessings to each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally-
    We are holding these pearls that you share with us in the most secure way that we can.....praying and laying them at God's feet.
    We love all of you,
    Jenn, Jeff, and Alexa Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really don't know each other but for a handful of email exchanges but I want you to know that I really admire you and all that you are doing to scotch tape your family together. You're doing a wonderful job and it's ok to feel down, don't beat yourself up over it.

    ReplyDelete