Thursday, September 2, 2010

Avatar


Things here have actually been fairly quiet this week.  That's not to say we haven't been doing anything.  On the contrary.  Phil and I, with the help of Trenna and Rene, spent a full day moving the rest of our boxes out of the garage and into their respective rooms of the house to eventually be unpacked.  What wasn't going inside was set aside to be stored long term in the garage shelving we'd brought with us. Once started we quickly realized there wasn't going to be enough shelving and we'd either need to get our hands on some more OR make some decisions about what we really needed to keep (another way of saying get rid of some shit).   


     At this point I have to interject that Rene has a work ethic that puts most people to shame.  He is the energizer bunny and a warrior about whatever he does.  He is an officer for the Chula Vista Police Department and an officer in the Navy Reserves (EOD - explosive ordinance disposal).  Our dinner table conversations are fascinating as he regales us in a humble and self-deprecating manner about his various adventure with land mines, the dolphin sonar training program, gang-bangers and thugs.  

When Phil and I returned from running an errand, we found that a shelf had been purchased and assembled and all the boxes we'd set aside for it had been shelved, categorized, and summarily dealt with.  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Rene.  


At several points during the day I would ask Phil, "how you doing honey?"  To which his answer was "I'm alright, I'm alright".  As the day went on it turned into "I know" or "I'm going to stop soon" or "I've got about half an hour left in me".  At the end of the day, as he's laid out on the couch with his hoodie pulled over his eyes he eventually says, "I should have listened to you."  Uh-huh.  No shit Sherlock.  What is it with you guys?


At the risk of sounding and seeming and actually being outright sterotypical I am going to ask again.  What is with you guys?  By "you guys" I of course mean you men who, although you are married and have been married long enough to know that your lovely wife knows you better than she knows herself,  you still don't seem to heed her gentle advice.  Now, Phil and I have been married 15 years this past July and I would like to think we have grown past this but... hope springs eternal.  So, if any of "you guys" out there can shed any light on this phenomenon please enlighten me.   However, I have digressed from the topic.  Let's get back shall we?


As for the title Avatar, I'm not talking James Cameron here, in fact, he has sucked so much money and fame from the title that he may even own all rights to the mere word by now.  No, I'm talking about Avatar:The Last Airbender.  Bennett turned us on to this Nickelodeon series last year and it is a really good quality anime cartoon.  The movie however leaves something to be desired, sorry M.Knight Shyamalan.    The lead character, Aang is the last airbender and sports quite the cool "hair style".  


This being the week for hair fallout Phil had a cool idea to surprise the kids, especially Bennett.  His beard was getting pretty scraggly and when he woke up a few days ago with a lot of hair on his pillow he decided to put his plan into action.  There are quite a few Chaldeans in this area who emigrated to this area about 5 years ago.  Several of them run a chain of mens full service barber shops called Mr. Cut and Phil inquired there about getting a traditional straight razor shave and "special haircut".  He explained about his chemo and said he'd be bringing in a picture of what he wanted.  No problem they said.  


Phil came home one relaxed dude.  The facial shave he said was a "thing of beauty" and amazing.  It was so relaxing and Ahmad (or Kevin) as he goes by here in America was great.  He worked hard not to lose any more hair than was necessary and was a really cool young guy.  The way he talked about it, I think the whole experience was moving for Phil and kinda spiritual.  


When Bennett came home from school he was very surprised and let out a huge "No Way Dad!" and Phil was quite proud that he'd struck the right chord.  If there is an upside to all your hair falling out from the poisonous side effects of chemotherapy it has to be looking like a hero in your son's eyes.


That's What I'm talking About


Lean Mean Fightin' Machine

Father and Son




9 comments:

  1. You are one brave and cool dude to be sportin' that 'do! I'm sure you are (again) Bennett's hero (& mine too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT.... The hair cut suits you for sure..I can't wait to be with you guys this weekend and stand on the front line to kick some cancer ass.....You can doooo it...Love you all..,Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this make you Phil the Hairbender? Nice look. Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. My nine year old, Daniel, thinks you look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So wish i could of done that haircut for you. Keep up the positive attitude. Love you all. Cherylyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats so Awesome Phil! Love it... You are one incredible man.....Watch out though, Maile is one mean water bender so she can give you a run for your money! We love you and are constantly sending you our love,stength and healing thoughts.xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't stop laughing - that is AWESOME!!! I hope Bennett joins you in the do-trend-setting. That would really be Team Conrad :) Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete