Friday, December 23, 2011

Thank God Jesus Was Born

WARNING: This is one of those migraine blogs. You know, maybe not my best work. Proceed with caution, I don't tend to do much editing.

I've had a particularly difficult time of it since I last posted. That sounds funny when I hear myself say it in my head because my life has been nothing but difficult for some time now but the last few days have been nothing short of horrendous. I do not write to garner sympathy and I abhor pity but I am personally wondering when this pain fest will let up. Each year, it seems, I have a new insight into the "true meaning of Christmas" and the events of the last months and days have provided me with yet another fresh perspective.

My very old dog Nero may be familiar to you from my posts or from having been around our family. He has been with me for over 17 years and was partially responsible for introducing me to Phil. I was playing ultimate frisbee with mutual friends at Duke (though we didn't know it at the time) and Nero and my Viszla, Sweet Pea ran over to Phil to say hi. Sweet Pea was a very high energy, beautiful and nutty dog and she got his attention immediately. The rest as they say is history. Nero hiked with us all over North Carolina and was a great running partner for Phil. He stuck by my side through 8 miscarriages, the miracle birth of Bennett after 8 weeks of bed rest, the adoption of Olivia from Taiwan, numerous moves, and Phil's devastating illness and death. He never licked, jumped up or ran away. He was "the Bud" to quote Phil. When Phil died Bennett just couldn't believe that a 17 (or 119 depending on your math) year old dog could outlive his dad. No kidding. I used to joke that'd I'd had Nero longer than Phil. Not funny anymore.

Anyway, I had to put Nero down yesterday. It is a long story and one that I am too wiped out emotionally and physically to go into but let's suffice it to say that it involved several weeks of medical interventions, lots of hand wringing and heartbreak. My kids were petitioning for him to remain with us like it was a death row pardon. For the first time since Phil died Bennett spoke about his feelings and frankly said, "Mom, I just can't handle any more death." What a gut punch. None of us wanted to see Nero go but I couldn't take the situation any longer ~ I was as far gone over the edge as I've ever been and I had to be the parent and do the right, hard thing. It sucked. Every minute of it. So yesterday I drove the Bud to the vet and kissed him goodbye. It was a veritable flashback to hospice with Phil and grievously painful.

And then there's today's misery. Woke up with a migraine, nausea and vomiting ~ again. [For those of you wondering, I am on two prophylactic meds including Botox and have had difficult to treat migraines for a long time.] I sent out a quick S.O.S. to my dad and we were soon off to the Urgent Care. They were very kind to me and I was treated fairly quickly. Unfortunately I was stuck 4 times for an I.V. because I was so dehydrated. I am blessed beyond with such caring parents who came and took care of me all day then took my kids for an overnight at their place so I could conk out. A bright spot amid the ruins!

Well, I said I'd been thinking about the "true meaning of Christmas" but to be honest, I think it's more that I have come to see the true NEED for Christmas. Like Bennett, I can't handle any more death either. Or migraines, or hassles, or brokenness in our world. Let me up I've had enough. But there is no end to it is there? My 7 year old daughter wants her dad back and doesn't have the brain power yet to really understand why he can't come back. She can't fathom why God wouldn't want to send him back here to make us all happy again. And my son would rather I stop crying altogether so he won't have to come anywhere near his own grief.

When you think about it, our world is full of days like today and yesterday for people everywhere and I am not anyone special. I just blog about it. There are stories much worse than mine. Mine hurts because it's mine but we all hurt and we all needed Jesus to be born.


From Amy Grant

We believe in God
And we all need Jesus
'Cause life is hard
And it might not get easier
But don't be afraid
To know who you are
Don't be afraid to show it
If you believe in God
If you say you need Jesus
He'll be where you are
And he never will leave you
Sing to me now words that are true
So all in this place can know it...

5 comments:

  1. Can I just say - this is s**t stuff, Sally-girl. Ugly and hard and frustrating and just plain sucky. And it surely does underline in bright neon our desperate need for a Savior. I am so sorry for this layering of pain. And I hate to say it - but I'm not too surprised by it all, either. You're worn to a frazzle, nerves are on high alert and I'd be far more surprised if you DIDN"T have a horrendous migraine and a couple hundred meltdowns as you try and navigate through this sea of stinkin' molasses. Keep talking, keep writing, keep looking for small glimpses - even the tiniest evidence - of light and hope and breath. They're there - they just become invisible when you're sinking down, sinking down. Stick your strong little hand up above the waves and put a white flag in it! Call for help, help, help - so thankful your parents intervened in the middle of all this crap. Many hospice organizations have great age-appropriate groups for kids - with art therapy, easy, welcoming freedom to talk or not talk, to cry or not cry. Sign up for whatever you can for your kiddoes and for yourself, too. Been thinking about and praying for you when I walk these days - you're near the top of my list for the foreseeable future. REALLY GOOD WORK to write this all down and let us in a little. "'Cause life is hard and it might not get easier..." Love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez Sally - I was really saddened to hear about Nero - he was SUCH a cool dog and was SUCH a major part of your family - there for everything and everyone. We are sorry for your loss.

    I hope your migraine goes shortly Sally. It is no surprise that your body is sending some clear messages that your being needs recovery and healing. I wish we were there - either we'd move in with you or we'd invite you to come stay with us and that is just how it would be. We are always sending thoughts and pray for you and Phil, Bennett and Olivia at our grace every day.

    I take Phil with me (or does he take me with him?) on each and every daily training run, roller-ski, bike, etc... In fact, I know that Phil was with me on a 3 hour run in the snowy, icy mountains last weekend when I fell 10 feet backwards off of a rock face and ended up with only a contused ribcage instead of far worse. I was able to run another 2 hours up and over the mountain - my running buddy couldn't believe that I was able to move let alone run again after such a high, hard fall. Clearly I was protected.

    I know Phil is with you and your lovely family for each trial, each happiness, always. His benevolent spirit, courage, and goodness will always be there.

    We love you.

    David, Heather, Zoe, and Gretchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    Don't underestimate the many hours of training you and Phil logged together coalescing to keep you safe out on the trail. You share the same spirit of "never surrender" that our friend Rob always shouted to Phil through his emails. You were a bedrock friend of Phil's and continue to speak words of love and wisdom to me and the kids. We love you and Heather so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sally,

    My heart sank, and I bawled out loud when I read about your loyal Nero having to be put down.....

    And, although it is a completely different kind of love and companionship, it is very profound nonetheless.

    I read this Christmas morning, after having gone to midnight Mass to celebrate the coming of the Christ-child.

    As I contemplate the naked, vulnerable, totally dependent baby-King, who was "all in," and not holding back on feeling, experiencing, BEING one of us, it gives me solace to come before the throne of God and pour out my heart and soul out to the Almighty God, Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace..... and KNOW that God completely understands.

    Sally, Bennett and Olivia, may God's loving arms embrace you in new ways this Christmas.

    Dave Ritter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry life is so hard right now. Just remember the prayer power you have behind you. I do believe 2012 will be much better. God Bless you and your family.

    Alice Fallon

    ReplyDelete