Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Now What

It's been two weeks since Phil died and I am only beginning to have time to "be" with my feelings.  As I said before, prior to Phil going into hospice care my house served as Ground Zero and I have had friends and family in my home until just a few days ago.  Include the visits from wonderful and supportive friends and family who flew and drove in for the memorial, the Thanksgiving holiday and the numerous details I must now attend to and you may begin to understand the position I find myself in trying to find time and space to grieve.  Unexpectedly, even my children are cramping my space to grieve.  Their grief looks so much different than mine and tends to manifest itself in the form of irritability and what I like to call "feistiness".  When I say that to them, we all know what I mean and they know they better knock it off or heads are gonna roll (or Nintendo DS's are gonna be confiscated, more likely).


By way of example,things with the kids and I have gone something like this lately.  It's been a long day for all of us, we're tired and worn out from just making it through another day without Daddy (even though I'm the only one cognizant of this little FACT) and patience with one another and the vicissitudes of life has thinned to almost nothing.  (You might guess by now that it is nearing the dinner hour.)  Chances are good that there may be a somewhat questionable casserole-type dish in the offering tonight, provided by a very well meaning soul who has tried hard to help us with our meals.  However, at this point, although very grateful, we are also very much over white rice, cream of mushroom soup and limp vegetables.  These have never been things I could get my kids to eat anyway so they don't go down any easier when they are grieving.  (Father God, forgive me for throwing away so much food when there are starving children in Africa...)  Anyway, the kids start picking at dinner, get more and more hungry and agitated, ask for short order cooked meals, start taking out their frustrations on me, each other, the world and next thing you know they are screaming at each other "I HATE YOU AND NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!"  That's gonna be a tough one since they share a bedroom and bunk beds.  


By this time I am missing Phil a whole lot and my grief has picked a fine time to show up.  As the tears come to my eyes my son Bennett looks at me and tells me I cry too much.  He asks me why I am sad still, why I am sad all the time.  What's wrong with me?  When I ask him if he is sad he says, "No, I'm pretty much over Dad now.  I put it behind me."  Well, thankfully I have a right mind and can see through his juvenile attempts to escape his grief but for a split second I want to wring his neck and shake some sense into him, scream back at him "I HATE YOU AND NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!  HOW DARE YOU!!!"  But somehow, through the grace of God, cooler minds prevail and I say, "OK bud."  By now Olivia has stormed off to her room to have a power pout and a good cry.  She at least will now go write down about 15 pet names for Daddy in her journal and make a list of all the things Phil did/didn't get to do before he died.  My kids surprise me, they are not performing as I thought they would.  I thought for sure my son, the intensely verbal one would talk his way through his grief and Olivia my shy one would clam up.  Just the opposite.  Never ASS-ume.


To say that I was happy that school started yesterday is to put it mildly.  I needed to return to the routine badly.  We all did.  At least to have some forced time and space created so I can just sit still and do nothing if I want to.  Of course that hasn't happened but at least the potential is there if I ever want to pull the trigger on it.  I can choose to be lazy if I want to.  To go back to bed if I feel like it.  To do absolutely nothing.  But surely you must realize that is a joke.  I suppose there will be a very short window for doing that but I happen to have a little book full of things I need to do.  Once the death certificates come I will be a busy woman getting my new life in order.  Until then, I will enjoy this little cushion of time being quiet and resting and enjoying the quiet while my kids are at school and there is space just for me.


I heard that someone recently was asking "What now?" about me.  Really??  I can't believe the answer to that question isn't painfully obvious.  I have two young children to guide through a tremendous burden of grief and loss. I have to figure out how to navigate my own grief which is so different than theirs and will likely do so in a sort of lonely isolation because of how different my relationship to Phil was from theirs.  And I will spend the rest of my life raising them to take as much good from him as I can, largely on my own and yet with the help of my family and friends and those who loved Phil.  


That's is what's next.


  

7 comments:

  1. Sally I hope you know how amazing I think you are for being such an honest genuine person, by writing all these thoughts down I think you give others the freedom to really understand what you are truly going through. Instead of putting on a brave face and a forced cyber smile. Getting together last night with the Young Life crew at Sammie's house to celebrate Phil, my thoughts were mostly on you and the kids. The slide show was pretty funny, I had no idea Phil had such a fro :) He looked so happy and full of adventure and I am convinced he has returned to much adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Death is not our destiny, it is just part of our story" Beth Moore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, Sally, Sally..... Would that we lived right around the corner, so we could pop in on each other and give you a shoulder to cry on (or punch, or whatever), and I really appreciate hearing from you about "what next...."

    I almost laughed when I read about the casseroles, because THAT is something relatively simple to re-heat and "Presto," a no-fuss, no-muss meal. UNTIL it is the SAME, night after night after night, one doesn't realize the monotony of it.

    Do you guys like Christmas cookies???? Any favorites?

    You know, the little note that I MEANT to write to Phil once I heard about Phil starting hospice was going to say, "We got your back...." I never sent that note, but my heart spoke those words to Phil as he passed...

    If you ever need another place to vent/brainstorm/laugh/cry.... If I can offer any support or comfort, please feel free to call.

    Dave Ritter
    717-856-3081 (cell)
    717-566-7775 (home)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sally, I agree with Jenny, you're being so vulnerable with your honesty. Speaking the truth allows the flow of healing in soul, spirit and body.
    Last night was amazing.
    Tricia, Jason M and Kevin shared the events of the Memorial after we all were blessed by the slides of Phil's gift to us all in having known him. Jason Caldwell lead us in song with Jesus Lead On and It Is Well. Then we prayed for you, Bennett and Olivia. Bill Robinson closed us in prayer with Scripture. He read from 2 Timothy 4:7 & 8 "7I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
    8Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." Bill reminded us that Phil ran his race, not one step more or one step less. Phil is now part of the "Great Cloud of Witnesses" in heaven. Bill challenged us all to run with the same perseverance and determination Phil gave in his race. Of course there were lots of tears as well as some laughs while we were sharing memories from moment blessed with Phil's presence, whether it was Dee and Phil in the young married care group discussing/debating points of scripture or a hot tub night with friends with Phil in Cowboy boots, hat and pink boa. (of course someone had to ask if Phil had remembered his swim shorts) We all needed to have this time together. The only thing lacking for me was not being able to put my arms around you and just hold you close. It's my prayer that you feel the hold prayer has on you. We are not letting go. I love you, Sally I am so very sorry for the sorrow you are all experiencing in saying good by to Phil here. Phil, until we say, "Hello" in heaven, your family is being covered in prayer, surrounded in love, and offered support in all ways needed. We all miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave, we happen to love Christmas cookies and I always attended a cookie exchange in WA with my girlfriends. My kids are fond of wedding cake cookies, candy canes (striped red and white peppermint flavored), and fudge (no nuts!). Our contribution has traditionally been checkerboard cookies (chocolate and vanilla sables). The kids love helping me make them even though it takes a few days to cut and chill the dough. They always cook beautifully and are impressive. Perhaps we will attempt them this year and post a photo of the process :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brava, Sally. Keep telling this truth. What's next is...whatever comes next and that's about it. One foot in front of the other, no matter how heavy they feel. This is such hard work and you will need to care for one other extremely important person during this time - and that is YOU.

    You have good resources, you have a great support community. But you DO NOT HAVE YOUR MAN and that is just plain awful. Yes, he's in a better place. Yes, his suffering is over. But then again - he's not here, with you and with those kids who need him more than they can possibly ever articulate to you or to themselves. So please do keep giving yourself permission to feel whatever rises, to say (to trusted people, to God or just out loud to an empty room) whatever the heck you need to say about how tired/lonely/angry/sad/enervated you may feel from one moment to the next. You can learn from others about the basics of this journey you're on - but...BUT it's YOUR journey, totally unique in so many ways.

    May you know the surrounding presence of the mercy of God as you take each step. May you find rest for the weariness, hope for the future, deep reservoirs of love for your children and for yourself, and patience with all of it. It just plain takes time. That's all. Love, love, love to you - and prayers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter was widowed three years ago, with three kids ages 17/14/10. She has written down for me some of the things she did during that long first year and if you're ever interested in reading that, I'd be glad to send it. Not fancy, just a response to an email I sent about a month ago before I told our family story to a local grief group. email = dtrautwein (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete