Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Familiar Surroundings

Well this feels familiar.  I'm sitting in the big over-inflated chair that makes obscene noises when one sits down too quickly (those who've visited know the one) and I'm watching Phil sleep.  It's day two of chemotherapy and we're in the groove.  This is round 5 of what we hope will only be a total of 6 and our lives are in a bit of an upheaval.  I suppose that isn't saying much for us, but really, it's true.  It's crazy enough that Phil drove himself to this hospitalization yesterday and checked himself in.  Truthfully, at this point he could probably get this thing rolling on his own.


Perhaps upheaval is putting too strong of a spin on things compared to where we've been before.  You be the judge.  As Sunday evening rolled around I had Bennett with a hideous cough, Olivia who needed to go to school the next day, Phil who had to be at the hospital at 7 a.m. the next morning and only 1 of me.   Hence Phil driving himself so I could nurse Bennett and get Olivia where she needed to be.


It just so happens that we finalized plans this week to move into a new house on July 1st. Now, I need to take advantage and pack up as much as I can while Phil is in the hospital and the kids are out of the house.  It is a hard fact that on Thursday at 1 p.m.( when the kids get out of school) any sense of order and control I have managed to cultivate will be in serious jeopardy.  Thursday is also my father's 80th birthday and this Sunday is Father's Day.  My son, if he is hale enough to participate, has a baseball game on Saturday and then there are the requisite end of school parties on Wed and Th which "we can't miss Mom!".  Oh, and did I mention that my check engine light came on today?  Phil 4:13, I say again, Phil 4:13.


On the plus side,  Phil is doing GREAT!  He is feeling well so far and is tolerating the chemotherapy as well as usual for day 2, only having a few minor twinges of nausea.  I set up a MealTrain for him so we've had some lunch and dinner brought in by friends because he is literally sick of the hospital food.  During the end of his last stay he became nauseated and gagged when they brought him the last few trays so we don't even bother with them anymore.  Dr. Kossman was kind enough to write orders that allow him to eat outside food as long as his blood sugars stay steady and he's been doing so much better eating normal food!  Tonight I believe my nephew will be bringing in Goat Cheese and Arugula Pizza.  Very Nice.


Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. How cool is it, in a "it's not really that cool" kind of way, that the medical stuff is the relative up side of schtuff right now? Still sending ridiculous amounts of love and good energy and prayers, y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a season full of rejoicing and mourning, we continue to do both with you from Pasadena. love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally - Such a positive post - Phil's and your strength is such an inspiration - I look forward to someday meeting your children which are the ultimate creation of you and Phil - it will be my honor!!!

    Positive thoughts as always - Jim

    Jim

    ReplyDelete