Friday, January 6, 2012

Thinking About You

"Do you think of Phil very often?" was the question my sister asked me as we were wrapping up our New Year's weekend together.  It was with some difficulty that I struggled to answer.  You'd think it would be a simple "yes" or "no" but instead I spent the next several minutes trying to put into words what my experience has been during the last six or seven weeks since he died.  It was a challenging task because I am embarrassed to admit that I don't think of him as often as I think I "should".  


I struggle to describe exactly what my grief has been like.  Phil died in mid-November and before I knew it along came Thanksgiving, usually my favorite time of year.  Then there was the rush of Christmas and the challenge to make it as special and joyful as possible for the kids.  It all ended up a mixture of many stressful, surreal and thankfully, a few beautifully sublime moments.  (So long 2011, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out).


Then just a day or so ago a friend sent me a link to an interview with Patrick Swayze's wife detailing her grief and the struggles she had taking care of him during his 22 months with pancreatic cancer.  I read that she initially thought of Patrick every three or four minutes for the first few weeks.  Holy crap!  I can't even imagine what that was like.  I so don't relate!  At first blush I felt bad that I wasn't like that.  


But something dawned on me and I felt immense relief at my insight and I took compassion on myself for not having dwelled on Phil these last weeks.  You see, from the moment Phil received his diagnosis I'd done nothing but think of him.  My life's dreams and passions ceased to move forward and all hands were on deck for the fight for Phil's life.  So began my journey with balancing the battle with cancer, motherhood and maintaining my sanity ~ all of which I kept spinning like plates in a carnival side show.  So now, to step back emotionally and not think of Phil all the time, let alone every three or four minutes, is a respite I have needed for a long time. To give myself permission to not feel guilty about it has been liberating.  And it's not the first time I've had to give myself this kind of permission...sheesh.  


In point of fact, what has happened is a transposition of sorts.  Now I think of my children most of the time.  I think of their grief and the anger they are exhibiting and of how I can parent them better especially now that I am alone (though not).  I constantly think about their future and of all the things I now need to provide for them in accordance with the collective vision Phil and I had together to shape their budding characters and to fill their thirsty souls.  And I reflect often on the difference between what they actually lost when Phil died and what I am unwilling to see them let go of along with that loss (their innocence, integrity, tenderness, compassion, faith).  In recognizing the immense responsibility and privilege that is mine to raise these kiddos, I accordingly give myself permission to ask for help, pray, and cry as needed.  


I often think of Phil in response to the overwhelming responsibility I feel to continue parenting these remarkable children "in the way they should go so that they will not stray from it".  I miss him every day and am only just beginning to understand my grief and the grief of my children.  None of us have the same response to his death and since each of them are rapidly growing and changing, I have to be on my toes all the time.  If I were to think of Phil every three or four minutes I could not do what I have to do to get on with the business of living ~ and leading all of us on in that.  And I find that for me personally, what I read recently rings true~ 


"People cry not because they are weak but because they have been strong for so long".

9 comments:

  1. You don't have to "think" of Phil-he is with you, and with your children. Period. You are being a parent-and if your thoughts were not with and about your children....then there might be some question. Sally-You are being you and that is why you are loved by so many. I think you are just perfect, just the way you are--Thank you for allowing this blog and TEAM Conrad to continue.
    Cheryl xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amidst my own grieving experiences, what you are doing and feeling is normal. Why wouldn't you feel complete relief and a release? Continue your pathway of living out loud, Sally. You are a smart, intelligent, and humble soul. Allow God to help you "fly" forward on His Wings. Janet Flores

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally -- there are no "shoulds" except that YOU'RE dealing with your loss is exactly as it "should" be -- yours.... I imagine that it will look different 2 weeks from now and different again 2 months from now. You will deal with things as you can and in a way that only you can. I hear your worry about your kids and am quite sure that what they witnessed when Phil was sick, and what they witness every day with you and everyone else who loves them, will help them to grow into exactly the kind of people that you and Phil want them to be. God knows and understands exactly where you are and I'm sure Phil does too -- and I am equally sure that both love you and are proud of you just the way you are right now. I love you and your spirit and your honesty and your faith and ....
    Kathi McShane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally,
    You have an amazing spirit, and a challenging road ahead of you. May God continue to shine within you, to light your path, and the path of your beautiful children.
    Love and care
    Cathy Knuth Yonaitis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Sally! Amen to all that you have written so beautifully here. (And please remember that Patrick Swayze's widow had NO children.) Yes, to the comments of your friends thus far on this post, yes, yes, yes. This is your journey, no one else's. You've had an unbelievably exhausting year+ and now your attention, your focus, your energy simply must transition to your children and yourself. Please be gentle with yourself - release yourself completely from any guilt about any of this. You are, by the grace of God, doing the very best you can. And you're doing it wonderfully well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes complete sense to me...Thanks again for sharing your most itimate thoughts with us. You exhibit a strength in character that I have no doubt you will find your own and your children's way out of the grief for Phil.--Uli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, and I again I say, Amen!

    Sally, you are so brave, and articulate, and so gracious to share your thoughts and feelings so freely.

    Thank you, and big hugs to you and the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sally, You Kick major Butt Lady.. I am Proud to call you my friend.. A Warrior never stops in the face of adversity, They spit in its eye and continue with the Mission.

    Your Mission is to raise the kids like Phil and you had planed and its OK if at times that path changes.

    Know that you are thought of often and prayed for by many. We Love who and what you are.... PS we missed you at the bacon fest new years morning.. Maybe next year? Love and Miss you........Bob...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you Bob! Your words mean so much to me and are an incredible encouragement. Be safe and keep being real. Squeeze your lady tight!

    ReplyDelete