Wednesday, October 26, 2011

God at Work

Not wanting to sound like Debbie Downer all the time I thought it might be a good exercise for myself and a nice testimony to share with you the myriad ways God has shown up lately.  Bennett has been having difficulty getting to sleep so we have been praying specifically every night.  His anxieties about all that is going on and the tremendous stress he is under culminate at night so he is struggling a lot.   He has had tears, fears and separation anxieties and they have been brewing into a real sleep disorder. Accordingly, I have been talking a lot about the promise of peace God makes to us in Philippians 4:6-7 and Bennett and I have been praying together every night about Phil, the range of emotions he is experiencing and God's big plan for our lives~ even when we can't see or understand what He's up to.  It's been one more intense road to walk down with my son on this journey with cancer.  A heartbreaking path but also a wonderful opportunity to share with him the Truth of who God is and to teach him about the loving and faithful character of God.


Philippians 4:6-7 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  


My sister Anita recommended that I write down on Post-It notes or in a journal how God answers prayers so Bennett can see God at work.  He's been told many times about the story of my pregnancy with him and his miracle birth (Post-It #1) and we will be adding to his original Post-It from now on.  


As for my list, it starts with a conversation I had on Sunday.  I've been attending church at Jamul Community Church where I feel loved even though I'm hardly known, which Bennett absolutely loves and which Olivia is slowly warming up to (per usual).  My dear neighbors Jim and Catherine and their daughter and son-in-law go there as well.  Pastor Gary has been teaching from Luke and each sermon I've heard has seemed especially meant for me.  I can't make it every Sunday due to Phil's health status but this past Sunday I was able to go and spoke with Pastor right after service.  I could barely talk because I was so moved but I told him how overwhelmed I am and how difficult it is to get there regularly, how I needed help, etc.  Before I finished getting the words out, he took my hand and said the body was there to help and asked if he could he pray for me.  He put his arms around me and said he was a "hugger" and hugged and prayed for me and my family while we both cried.  It was...perfect and beautiful and the comfort I have needed from the church body for so long.  I have found my church home.  Hallelujah!


Yesterday I called the church office and talked about needing meals a few times a week and to have some firewood cut up on our property.  Within a few minutes a woman from the congregation called me and by that afternoon she was at our house delivering a casserole, salad, fruit and garlic bread.  She also has an idea for getting our wood cut and stacked and just needs the go-ahead.  She is part of a care group and they want to more or less adopt us.  Later that evening I was telling all this to Jim and Catherine over our fence (and thanking Catherine for the generous check she gave me last week along with a beautiful basket of pumpkins).  We talked about how challenging it still is for me to ask for help and how I am trying to stop saying "No" for everyone.  So, I told them about the firewood and our poor heating situation - another blog topic perhaps - and she texted me later that evening to say she and Jim had firewood to bring over to us today.  I said Yes they could bring it over : )  


Lastly, earlier in the day I had a visit from Trenna.  She told me that she and several of our friends had talked about either taking me out to make Dream Dinners or if I couldn't go, to make them for me.  She and her work out partner also plan on taking a day off from "real" working out and coming over here instead and moving all my boxes off of the dank floor and onto pallets in my storage area.  What I did to deserve such love and acts of service I'm sure I don't know ~ it's the Body of Christ at work in the lives of His loved ones.


God IS showing up and He is blessing us demonstrably in this maelstrom.  Take note Bennett!  The Post-Its are piling up because He loves you and I and Olivia and your Daddy fiercely.  You will sleep soundly again.  Great is His Faithfulness.



5 comments:

  1. Oh, amen. So glad you're found community, a means of experiencing God's love in the here and now. Lovely, lovely stuff in the midst of all the crap, pain and confusion. Love and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! God IS at work and He IS faithful. Thank you, Sal, for sharing your joys of how He is showing up in your lives, through the people He has placed around you. We are grateful to hear your praises, as well as share in your struggles. Since I am far away, it is good to hear how you are finding a church home and that people are wrapping their arms/lives around you. As always, thanks for sharing.
    We love you guys,
    Cherie & John

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's ways are not our ways, and His time is not our time. I believe God is hurting and wrestling with you with Phil's issues and Bennett's too. He also holds you in his hands as you were hugged by your pastor. God's mercy and love is greater than our pain. I don't suggest in this to minimize or discount your days of dark. The darkness will never put out God's light as He promises. Connie and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God!!!... Laurie from CA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally, your faith in God through all this darkness is very encouraging to me and hopefully many others. I am so glad you found a church family and loving people to support you. God's love is incredible, and all of His hands and feet thru others is so amazing. I with I was closer and could genuinely help your family, but know my prayers and love are with you.

    Thank you Lord for your love, grace and peace!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete