Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Flat broke and busted, but in REMISSION!

I was sitting beside the pool talking with Trenna watching the kids swimming in the incredibly warm water of our solar heated pool (in late April) when I heard Phil's quiet voice behind me.  "Can I talk to you for a minute?"  I turned around and he was there, teary-eyed and red faced and I knew something serious was up.  I walked back into the house and asked if he wanted to go into the bedroom to talk.  "I'm in remission", he replied with a quavering lip.  He had talked with Dr. Kossman about his bone marrow biopsy results from last week.  (I am overdue on some blogging)


For a long moment I didn't know what to do.  Now he was really crying and lately he's been looking kinda rough around the edges, not like someone who's in remission from stage IV aggressive T cell lymphoma.  You see, ever since he came home from his last hospitalization he's been feeling  pretty beat up and hasn't really bounced back like he eventually does by now.  It could have something to do with the shear number of surgeries he's had, the volume of chemotherapy he's endured and the pericarditis he currently has.  But that's just the tip of the iceberg.  It doesn't take into account the emotional, spiritual and financial toll this whole cancer business has taken on him/us.


Eventually the words he'd just spoken registered with me and the origin of his tears became clearer to me as well.  We hugged and held each other and cried and spoke soft words of thanks be to God in each others ears.  We couldn't believe it.  We still can't.  It feels miraculous and mysterious and overwhelming.  My wounded warrior, Iron Man, Outlier has battled the enemy within and pinned it to the mat, surrendering an eye and a portion of his brain in the process but never complaining and never ever saying quit.  I am in awe of his stamina, his attitude and his fight.  He is Livestrong personified and I am privileged to care for him.


There is still more chemotherapy ahead to finish this fight.  We meet with Dr. Kossman at the end of the week and will learn from him what lies ahead.  For now, we know he describes this as "amazing" and that Phil's bone marrow is full of normal cells where before there was only lymphoma.  To be here after only two cycles of therapy is truly a gift from God.  He is merciful and responds to the prayers of His people.  


Thank you for your prayers and petitions on our behalf.  We are humbled and grateful and our faith is strengthen and encouraged.  We have our own resurrection story!

4 comments:

  1. This really is a beautiful story, Sally. Praise God!
    -Dave Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise Him from Whom ALL Blessings Flow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remission!!! One of the most wonderful words in the English language, if you ask me. You have no idea how absolutely thrilled I am to hear this... I thank our Almighty Lord for watching out for you guys throughout this terrible fight!

    ReplyDelete